Please refer to our new main site.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

TN Visas for NAFTA Member Citizens - Law - National, State, Local

The United States, Mexico, and Canada have a close economic relationship due to NAFTA, or the North American Free Trade Agreement. While this agreement encourages commerce between these countries, it also allows NAFTA member citizens to come to the U.S. with special TN visas if they meet certain requirements.

Normally, nonimmigrants who come to the United States for temporary business purposes must apply for visas such as an H-1B temporary worker visa. However, if you are from Mexico or Canada, you may be able to skip this lengthy process and instead simply apply for a TN visa. You can apply for this visa at a U.S. port of entry if you are from Canada or at a U.S. embassy or consulate in Mexico if you are from Mexico. Still, there are qualifications that you must meet in order to receive a TN visa.

When you apply for a TN visa, you must have proof that you are a citizen of Mexico or Canada. Additionally, you must be able to prove that there is a part-time or full-time job opportunity waiting for you in the United States. This position must be one of the professions agreed upon in NAFTA. Some of these occupations include:

If your TN visa is approved, you can apply to bring your spouse and children under the age of 21 to the United States with you. This accompanying visa is called a TD visa. Of course, this requires other documentation, such as proof of marriage or birth certificate.

The TN and TD application process can be difficult and tedious, and you may require legal assistance with the paperwork. To discuss your situation, contact an experienced Orange County immigration lawyer from Garg & Associates, P.C., today.

No comments:

Post a Comment